Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:45:01 -0600
From:         JOHN WESTENBERG <mjjwest02@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: winterizing

Thanks to all of you for your opinions on storing vs. driving a vanagon in the winter. Enlightening and helpful. It seems the main problem is salt. We do not salt the roads in Missoula, MT. We used gravel until the dust began to add to the wintertime inversion and air quality problems inherent to our valley. Now we use a deicing compound. The highways of Montana use gravel and sand. I think it is because we are a poor state and dirt is cheaper than salt. Another problem seems to be the weight of the westy or camper component of the van. It seems I misrepresented myself on that count through ignorance. I refer to the syncro I am going to get as a camper because I will camp in it and because it has the ASI poptop and a homemade cabinet with stove. I now realize it is not a genuine westy or camper and does not have the weight of the camping cabinets. Commuting is another problem. My drive to work at the hospital is about 3 miles or 5 minutes and I have a 2002 Camry to use for that and groceries. I am truly sorry for all of you who must spend so much time driving just to meet daily obligations. Hopefully you have found a way to make your commute enjoyable and interesting. The Krown treatment some of you mentioned is intriguing but it looks like one must go to Canada to get it. The trip could be fun as well as preventive maintenance. The advice on a local repair shop and mechanic is invaluable. I know I cannot maintain the syncro on my own, but I still really want it. Now I will be able to care for it properly. I have also heard from women in this group. Great! Now I want to know if any of you women are also in your 50's, have 3 teenaged children and arthritis. It seems that a syncro is ideal for coping with teens, aging and the need for a little extra peace of mind during questionable driving conditions. Knowledgeable, thoughtful, interesting, humorous and helpful people on this site. What a treat! Barbara in Missoula soon to have a 89 syncro with ASI poptop