Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:42:56 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Crash Safety Design Details/was cartalk...
Comments: To: albell@UVIC.CA

In a message dated 10/7/03 4:02:26 PM, albell@UVIC.CA writes:

<< check out the tech paper on my website for a more thorough analysis of this.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/vantech.html >>

Listees,

The issue with one's personal experience or the Volvo crash site are all interesting but have to be classified as anecdotal evidence because of the "one of" nature of the evidence. The federal and insurance Institute crash tests are marginally better in that many of the conditions are controlled and an effort is made to report the results for comparison. But only marginally better and often misleading. I assume you are aware that the US Big Three (at least) spend lots of money and plenty of electrons doing finite element model analysis of every aspect of the federal tests, optimizing the car for the best performance in the test grades that can be achieved with the current design. If the details of the test change, the over-optimized result will fare poorly.

Unfortunately, the kinematics of a crash (near supersonic deceleration or acceleration of a very complex object) are very hard to quantify and compare. For example, the deceleration loads vary rapidly as the both the vanagon and the unwilling deforming obstacle dissipate the impact energy actually generating a force spectrum that can hit several thousand G's (gravity units) for time periods of milliseconds to seconds. A profile in time very similar to the launch power spectrum on the shuttle in lift-off (of course this has a longer duration).

If you really want to appreciate the engineering for safety that went into your vanagon, read the article that Alistair cites. The figures and abstract are in english, and a little work with babelfish and your browser will help you get the gist of the german. You might then compare this with several papers Ford and GM engineers have published over the years in SAE proceedings on their design efforts. It will be shocking!

Now personally, I trained my son and daughter for their driving stits with the vanagon using some excellent video street motorcyclists, then taught them to ride my motorcycles, then reviewed the general testing results for IQ tests for the driving age population in LA. Just remember, I believe I said, look at all of them around you, the're all blithering idiots! Would you trust your car (body, life, friend, etc) to their driving skills?

Later, SWMBO came in and asked about what I had done to the kids. The just wanted to stay in their rooms. Oh well, another day, another conference.

frank Grunthaner