Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:35:44 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Cleaning up alloy wheels

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in suggestions on how best to clean up & remove minor blemishes and stains from alloy wheels. I'm not talking scratches from incidents with gutters but the inevitable marks that end up marring the appearance of alloys over time.At least some of the stains to which I'm referring appear to have been caused by the dust from the front disc pads....like you tend to see on most German cars.

I have tried several types of generic metal polishes as for brass,copper and aluminium but their success has been limited.

The alloys still look good for 11 years old and normally a regular wash keeps them quite flash however this time I need a finish of a particularly high standard....

You see,my van has been selected to appear in the up and coming festivities for Volkswagen celebrating 50 years of sales in Australia...1953 to 2003. Submissions were called for good examples of the different model VWs sold in Oz over the past 50 years and my '92 was selected as the example of the T3 wasserboxer....:)

The big day is Oct 19 with a convoy of 50 VWs travelling over the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Darling Harbour under police escort for a day of displays,talks and festivities...all paid for by Volkswagen Aust....:)

I've just replaced the windscreen to get rid of several chips and bullseyes and the body and interior of the van are OK, needing only a wash and polish the day before,but since my van will be on display,I'd like to do the best job I can and this is where sprucing up the alloys as best I can comes into it....

Thanks for any suggestions for the alloys and sorry for the shameless plug for the van but this is probably the only forum where anybody would even give a *&%#,,,;)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck)