Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:42:34 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: East Coast Salt

> Is there a qualitiative or quanititative difference between Illinois road > salting and New England road salting? > Does washing off the salt once in a while (or more assiduously) do the > trick?

don't know about the difference, but when i lived in chicago, the salt was murder. the recommendation was to wash it off, in one of those drive-through-spray-underneath car washes, every week! the theory was, you got a lot of the salt off the metal/paint, and you diluted what was left. the newspapers recommended making a garden hose attachment out of pvc pipe with holes drilled in the pipe every inch (like a big wand that sprayed) to use to wash underneath the car. they also said it would only delay the rust ... not prevent it. and they reported that those Rusty Jones and Ziebart rust protection plans were worthless .. expensive wastes of money. a non-protected car would last about 2.5-3.0 years before any rust appeared. guess how long the warranty was for Rusty Jones? yup ...2 years. and they would only apply the 'protection' to brand new cars. just a rip-off racket.

only trouble was ... do NOT get out of the car and close the doors after driving through the car wash!!! your doors can freeze shut with all the water running off the bus! :) had that happen to me .. luckily, i had left the rear hatch unlocked and was about to open it and get back into the bus and open the doors from inside.

good luck! joel