Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:10:44 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Bus Depot and Rebuilt Transmissions
Comments: To: hradek@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 9/30/03 1:32:03 PM, hradek@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Has anyone one bought one of the rebuilt trannys from busdepot> The price seems very rasonable. Perhaps if you have you could give us some feedback. thanks gary >>

By way of a reply, I must report that I have availed myself of this service and was favorably impressed. After weighing my options and considering the cheap sot that I am, I checked into the BD connection with Rancho Performance in Anaheim. As part of the decision, I checked out my local alternatives, Weddle and several other specialty outfits in the SoCal area. Of course price and quality at AA Transaxle are well known to this group. As I have mentioned previously to this august forum, I have donated strongly (if reluctantly) to my local transmission vendor (Transmission SuperShop in Van Nuys, CA) in an effort to put his daughter through Yale. Three times with the diesel trans. Each time with a broken 3/4 hub or worse.

Almost a total loss each time in that SWMBO would not let me use the broken parts as conversation pieces salted around the living room coffee table. I do use them to help keep dust up off the garage shelves.

I digress. Transmission discussions always leave me in a melancholy mood.

For the transmission in question for this round, I had a DK ('81 Air Cooled) with mad mainshaft bearings, a bellhousing from a turbodiesel syncro (!) and a custom fitted input shaft. This is in preparation for my Turbo Audi 3A install that I never seem to have time to finish. Anyway, I wanted a basic rebuild along with some serious strengthening for the Audi torque level (not less than 200 lbs.ft at the flywheel). During my searches and discussions with a number of off-road fruitcakes beating this trans with any number of outrageous engines, I decided on two major improvements for the trans.

It develops that everyone (including Mother Theresa) knows (knew) about the 3/4 hub on these things. Most rebuilders use the upgraded VW factory part although I understand that some lower Brazilian units are available to the unscrupulous. BUT, Weddle has also made a version of the hub out of much stronger case-hardened material. So first improvement, the Weddle 3/4 hub. A full case hardened gearset is available, but out of my price range.

Secondly, I decided to replace the 2-spider gear differential with a 4-spider super diff differential, in view of the amount of off road driving in low gears that I enjoy.

I priced this combo (careful rebuild for high torque application, case hardened 3/4 hub and super diff) from all the aforementioned sources. Hands-down, the BD price was the lowest and about 10% off the Rancho Performance retail. In talking with the guys at Rancho, I was impressed. As I went through my litany of requests, all I got was yes, yep and no problem.

For my added accessories, I ended up with a $250 or $300 addon to the BD price. Both the additional and base charges were significantly less at Rancho, although BD just passed the addon charge directly. So on price, it was a very good deal. Plus, as a SoCal resident, I escaped the California Sales Tax (8%) (How sweet it is), and paid no transportation costs (drove the box to Anaheim). Oh yea, no core charges either.

When I dropped the trans off, I was very impressed with the knowledgeable staff (like talking to Darrel of AA, but with a better audio connection). The shop was very well equipped with VW and Porsche transmissions everywhere. The place was hopping with a series of assembly line like stations and transaxles in all states of undress.

I dropped the trans off on Monday, picked it up on Friday. Popped it in and haven't heard from it since. Shifts smooth and clean, no case leaks. Did I say no whining. Neat!

So my advice is this: The BD price on the air-cooled manual is about 10% less than El Rancho's base. The El Rancho price was between 15% and 55% less than other vendors. Therefore, the Bus Depot price was between 25% and 65% less than other quotes. Add the no transportation or shipping charges and the lack of sales tax, I saved between 35% and 75% over the alternatives. Warranty right there with the best.

Hard to beat! Especially for the SoCal group.

Besides, I liked the black color!

Frank Grunthaner