Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:02:54 -0500
From:         Owen <olists@THEBRANDS.ORG>
Subject:      water from exhaust mystery solved.

I have finally finished cleaning up all the nagging stuff on this 1.9 and got it back in and running. the 2.0 i4 will have to wait until the rains come. I should have done this when I first got the van last August. The exhaust, alternator mount, fuel lines, vacuum lines, and hokey wire routing is finally cleaned up right. It was nice to be able to take my time and enjoy the work.

The water leaking into the exhaust turned out to be a false alarm. I "pressure tested" the system by plugging all the water outlets and then elevating a cylinder of water to pressurize. No leaks or I don't know what I am doing. I figured most likely the latter. When I was picking up the exhaust to put it back on I heard a bit of sloshing. I emptied this water out and as I bolted the exhaust back on in the rain (big mistake not doing this while the engine was out.live and learn) I realized that the tail pipe was corroded enough that water dripped off the van and into the top of the pipe via rust holes. Apparently when I stopped driving the van to replace the AC lines it allowed water to accumulate. For now I am going to hack off the very end of the tailpipe and replace the exhaust after camping season turns to rainy season here in Houston.

The exhaust brackets were the toughest part of the job. I am still stuck with two homeless exhaust brackets. One that the Bentley does show going front to rear connecting at the four into one. How this attaches escapes me. The other doesn't show up in the Bentley and my before shots don't shed any light on it. I may post some pictures in the hope someone can provide some guidance.

All in all I am much more confident in my van and what I need to repair it. I am organizing the long overdue August trip to Aldamas Mexico and will post a trip report if/when we return. Thanks to everyone for the guidance along the way, it would have been tough going without it.

Owen Brand 84 Westy Wolfsburg Houston TX