Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:45:46 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: exhaust / Rust Prevention
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

George, my man....

They rust from the inside out too. Granted, that in super salty upstate NY and surrounding areas they will probably rust faster from salt on the exterior... you will not be able to really stop the intense oxidation that occurs when you expose the interior of the steel muffler and pipes to such hot temps, with water coming out as by-products of combustion.

maybe you could just dip everything in the peanut oil several times before installing it... and between dips heat all the parts up to 500 degrees or so.

Better yet, maybe you could genetically engineer a peanut, mixed with some spider dna, to get a synthetic muffler material which is as strong as kevlar or carbon fiber, but as natural as cotton. Then the exhaust system would never rust, and you could sell em for like a grand each!

Tell me if you figure it out.

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf