Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:19:19 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      adding guages to Vanagon

Hello--

I just procured three VDO gauges from an 87 VW Cabriolet in a wrecking yard. I'm wondering if they can be used to benefit the passing of information from the engine compartment to the pilot in my Vanagon. Specifically I'm wondering if the calibration is compatible with Vanagon oil pressure and oil temp. My bus is an 83.5 Water-cooled 1.9 liter.

These gauges are the "standard" over the counter VDO gauges that are in the console of some of the Cabriolets. They are about 2" diameter.

The gauges are:

A volt gauge with calibration starting at and running to: 8-10-12-14-16. (I assume this is pretty standard and will work) Where would the 2 leads from this gauge run to? The positive side of the battery and a ground? Or to the alternator?

An (what I assume is) Oil Pressure gauge. The measurement is "bar" and it runs from and to: 0-1-2-3-4-5.

An Oil Temperature Gauge reading in "Cels." and running from and to: 50-80-100-120-150. The red zone on this gauge starts at about 145 degrees.

As far as senders, I'm guessing VDO makes a dual sender that screws into the oil pressure idiot light sender socket on the engine case. This dual sender would hopefully run the gauge and still allow function of the idiot light. (the pilot in this case is an idiot) But what of the oil temp gauge? Is there a 3 way sender to allow all three? Can a temp reading be obtained from that pressure switch sender vantage point?

As for the endless topic of where to mount the gauges, I have always dreamed of finding a VDO gauge pod mount for a right hand drive vehicle. The gauge mount I know of here in the US holds three gauges in kind of attached little cups with a curved bottom meant to be mounted on the dash. This pod mount slants each gauge toward the driver. If I could find the same VDO mount for a right hand drive car I have visions of mounting it on the ceiling above the rear view mirror concealing the wires over the headliner. ( the RHD pod-designed to mount on the dash and slant toward the RHD driver--if mounted upside down on the ceiling in the US would face the LHD driver.) I wonder if such a RHD VDO pod can be found?

Any info appreciated. Thanks, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA