Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 06:13:27 -0400
From:         dr <dxrobertson@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: East Coast Salt

I personally dont drive my van in the winter because of the salt as well as it being air cooled.

Not sure about New England, but my experience in Ohio has been to wash it off as needed, as soon as possible. If snow/ice is forcasted, try not to drive the van if possible. If you encounter salt, it is important to wash it off asap. Washing it off means underneath as well. This can be quite a mess. As someone else mentioned, try not to spray the doorlocks.

Here in Ohio, they now use a "brine" solution of salt and water. They apply this before the snow/ice arrives, then salt afterwards. What I noticed with this is not only do you get the giant salt/snow/ice collection around your wheel wells and everywhere else underneath, but you are driving through a saltwater mist that finds it way down into every crack and smallest opening in the vehicle. I noticed this last winter after driving a jeep though several winters here and last year with the brine solution; I noticed rust starting to appear EVERYWHERE. Now, I park my van AND jeep for the winter and bought an old volvo.

Salt will also eat away at your garage floor.

Something else they use in Ohio is giant chunks of salt; watch your windshield.

Notice how newer cars are dealing with the problem- many are now nearly 1/2 plastic from the bottom, up.

dr