Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:41:00 -0400
From:         Jorge Osorio <josorio@ATLAS.KENNESAW.EDU>
Subject:      Short Fused about plastic fuses

Volks in the past week I've had some troubling experiences with those plastic jelly bean fuses. As soon as the weather turns colder, my Westy begins to blow fuses like pop-corn (Well, ok I'm exagerating) The one I seem to loose the most is the windshield wiper one. Last week to my amaze, my wipers stopped working again, and when I looked at the fuse box, the fuse had completely burned thru the cover and melted onto the metal prongs!! I was lucky perhpas that the cover limited the amount of air for combustion or I would've had myself a Roasty Westy. Anyhow, I went to my FLAPS to see If I could find more of those suckers and the guy at the counter told me that they sold the glass type fuses which are a direct replacement for those "pop-art" jelly bean ones. I got one of those miscelaneous packages and tried a 16A..puff blown..then a 25A, Works!!

My question/concern is:

1) A fuse is a fuse is a fuse right??? as long as is the right Amp 2) I've fooled around so much with the fuses that I'm not even sure I have the right ones in the right places. I've checked the Bentley but I'm confused cause the Bentley lists more fuses than what I have in my fuse panel, anyone knows the right amperage I need to use on each slot??? I'll probably replace all the jelly bean ones for glass ones as a "Smokey The Bear" strategy.

As far as the blown fuse experience goes, I'll take the glass ones any day, they blow the same way the trees fall in the forest when nobody is watching, and best of all no melted plastic to scrape and remove, Yuk!!

Jorge

'85 Westy Wolfsburg

Betsy, a.k.a "Plan B"