Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:39:04 -0700
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: California Inspection: Day 4

What happened to days 2 and 3? Work mostly.

So here it is Thursday. Van needs to be registered by tomorrow. I am working noon till 9 so I go down early to sit in the line at the DMV. Pay the regisration fee on time, smogged or not. 2 hours down at the DMV, pay my $44 bucks and get my new license. This one has a picture of a guy with a beard on it. Now that's something different.

Guy at the counter tells me if I get it smogged today, just come back and I won't have to sit in line for two more hours to get my stickers. Fat chance I tell him, it's already 10:45 and I'm suppose to be at work at noon.

Go home, stop off at the corner repair place and ask if they are still doing inspections. Holy Smokes, they forked over for the multi thousand dyno tester do-gizmo, mounted right in their floor. When can you get to it? Now. !

OK 35 bucks for the pretest, 75 bucks for the smog test itself. $110 dollars!!! Better than last time if it passes. Pretest numbers: HC (PPM) 15 mph - 55 (max 129) 25 mph - 39 (max 101)

CO % 15 mph 0.19 (max 0.84) 25 mph 0.24 (max 1.06)

NO (PPM) 15 mph - 1062 (max 1292) 25 mph - 663 (max 1323)

Not bad. He shuts off the engine. Well, do you want to run the test for real now? he asks.

Sure. SMOG test numbers:

HC (PPM) 15 mph - 119 (max 129) 25 mph - 52 (max 101)

CO % 15 mph 0.38 (max 0.84) 25 mph 0.31 (max 1.06)

NO (PPM) 15 mph - 1274 (max 1292) 25 mph - 416 (max 1323)

Yowzer! It almost failed! Don't let them turn off the engine!

So anyhowz, it passed. I went back, got my sticker, don't have to worry about it for another two years, only 2 hours late to work.

tim in san jose

_________________________________________________________________ Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es