Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:33:06 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/newposts/556/topic556083.shtm
Comments: cc: mst@AK.NET

Mark, I stand corrected. You are right on base on the freezing point. regards gary http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/newposts/556/topic556083.shtm Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:46:22 -0700 From: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET> Subject: it will actually freeze

Gary,

You assume much, just because I live 40 miles from the valley world renown for the strength and quality of its organic recreational pharmaceuticals,I DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING, except maybe punks in souped up Honda's(even if they are my customers). You do not need -70F to see a gallon of antifreeze turn to ice! Living 34 years, and working 20 years in the automobile business in Anchorage, AK I have seen entire pallets of frozen antifreeze. If I recall correctly it happens around -25 to -35F, not frozen solid, but definitely frozen more than I want in my engine. Your household freezer does not get cold enough to duplicate the temperatures that many parts of the world see. Cold weather is just as good a reason to not use full strength as hot weather is. The chart that the antifreeze manufacturer puts on the back of the bottle is NOT there for decoration, Ethylene Gycol needs water added to give your engine maximum protection from cold as well as heat. A quick check of the print on the back of one of several different types of antifreeze that we have in stock reveals the warning to never use it above 75% strength. A 60/40 mix will be good for about -60F, about as good as you can get it, but not good enough for some areas . The poor souls that live near Fairbanks, AK, about 370 miles north of me can see temperatures as high as 100F in the summer, and as low as -75F in winter.

If you would like further verification on this I would be glad to provide the names and numbers of clients that run automotive repair shops up here.

Mark in AK 87 Westy Syncro