Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:06:44 -0700
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: overheating and radiator,
              now:best price online if it ever arrives

Those of you in the contiguous U.S., or "lower 48" as we say up here are fortunate to have such shipping options as UPS ground service. They do not ship ground to AK, a fact that we have to explain to vendors often. I once had a set of exhaust headers for a 3/4 ton truck shipped from San Diego to Salt Lake City via UPS ground, it cost $12.00. The same headers were then shipped to me in Anchorage, the least expensive option was UPS second day, cost, $100.00. That is the price we pay to live in paradise.

Somtimes the delay is beyond anyones control. Just last week an entire shipment was one day late because the Fed Ex truck was delayed in traffic after two semi-trucks collided on the highway, the Fed Ex vehicle was unable to get to the airport in time. Last winter another shipment was delayed by high winds. The freight arrived at the airport, but the shipper was unable to open the cargo doors on the plane, for fear of damage to the aircraft.

Some vendors are better than others at processing and shipping orders. Some shippers are better and/or more economical than others also. Neither can overcome unreasonable expectations on the part of the consumer. If you need the part in a hurry, be prepared to pay the price, and remember that sometimes no reasonable amount of money will get it to you any faster. We spent several days in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada, this August thanks to a slipping clutch. The clutch started slipping at 9pm on a Friday night as we were leaving Whitehorse headed home to Anchorage, 728 miles away. Unable to continue we camped for the night and spent Saturday morning exploring the local auto parts stores for a clutch and someone to install it. One store went the extra mile and was willing to have a kit aired in from Prince George, B.C.. The parts person there even had to teach the warehouse how to have a courier take the clutch to the airport and ship it. Unfortunately it would have arri ved on Sunday and though he called everyone that he could think of, no one was available to install it until at least Tuesday. In the end I had relatives in Anchorage ship a clutch via AK Direct Bus Lines which delivered it to us at the campground 1am Monday morning. 8:30 Monday morning we were at John's Auto and they adjusted their schedule enabling them to install our clutch that day.

Total time in Whitehorse was 3 days. Could we have gotten the clutch faster, yes. Would it have mattered, no. While I was prepared to install it myself if need arose, it would have taken me longer working alone, on the ground in the campground without a hoist and air tools then it did by waiting for John's Auto to install it.

I will probably post a more complete account of our trip later, but would like to acknowledge a few businesses that went the extra mile for us.

Arctic Import Repair, Anchorage, AK Owner: Bruce Lee. Bruce not only answered his phone on A Saturday(when he is closed), but he had the clutch, rear main seal, o-ring, transmission input seal, etc. instock. He also sent several tools to make the job easier, and discussed at length with me via cell phone the best course of action should I end up changing it myself.(Larry Chase has also acknowledged them for their service when he was here.)

AK Direct Bus Lines, Anchorage, AK, and Whitehorse, YT, Canada. For delivering the clutch to the campground in Whitehorse at 1am in the morning.

John's Auto Repair, Whitehorse, YT, Canada. For rearranging their Monday morning schedule to get our van clutch replaced.

Mark in AK 87 Westy Syncro

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, George Goff wrote:

> You have to stop specifying that discounted Pack Mule Service from UPS. The > contemporary wisdom has it that self-propelled delivery vehicles are the way > to go. I deal with numerous vendors all who seem to be able to ship their > goods in a timely manner without priority shipping nor the necessity of tacking on > a charge for expediency.

Your experience with UPS must be different than mine. I've never had a UPS Ground shipment from anyone arrive in less than four business days. A week is more typical; two weeks has happened. (That's two weeks *after* the item ships.) Even UPS's expensive "Second Day Air" seems to take three days as often as not. UPS is just plain slow.

FedEx will get it there faster but you sure pay a lot for the privilage. Especially if it's a heavy item.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si