Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:47:56 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: car talk vanagon caller
Comments: To: James Ballen <ballenjames@HOTMAIL.COM>

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, James Ballen wrote:

> Although you're right that Click & Clack (the cartalk bros.) don't think > highly of our vans, i did hear one of them talk about how one morning in > boston at a stop light, an early '60's rusted out bus roared up next to him. > He said that the nostalgia alone was enough to make him offer to buy the > van from the driver on the spot. The driver declined, and happily drove > away.

Click & Clack love old cars. One of them (I forget which) owns an old Triumph, not exactly a car known for its reliability. But I think they're realistic in their recommendations for average people. A vintage VW isn't really a good buy for anyone who doesn't enjoy turning their own wrenches. (And in a few years even my '82 Vanagon will be "vintage".)

> The part of this caller's comments i found funniest were when she was asking > about the possible subaru forester they were looking at as a replacement for > their westy...she said something along the lines of "ok, so it's a great > car, but will my husband still be able to go out and tinker w/it...because > that if he can't, he would be devestated!"

<grin> I remember that. They told her to keep the van so her husband could work on it.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si