Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:18:18 -0400
From:         Dave <dboan@BLUECRAB.ORG>
Subject:      GoWesty Wheels

I lost the question about anyone using Go Westy Wheels... someone asked about experience with them...

I bought the 16" wheels for my '85 four months ago. The pluses: the vehicle is much, much more stable. I could tell the difference immediately. I live in an area where there are a lot of bridges, and crossing them in a wind is always an adventure. The improved tracking and handling have made this far less of a problem. I wish I had done this upgrade a long time ago. I shopped wheels for a year, and found these to be a good buy. And, they are great looking.

The negatives: They are supposed to come balanced, but I had a lot of vibration and it took two trips to the local shop and working with someone who could do a "forced balance" (adjusting the tire on the wheel) to get it smoothed out. The tire shop guy said he thought the wheels had fewer "ridges" (??) on the inside of the rim for sealing the tire, and perhaps that was a weight or cost cutting move, but it could allow the tire to travel on the wheel and throw off the balance. I never heard that before, and have not had a problem, but pass that along as the only other negative I have encountered.

Bottom line: I am very happy with them and would buy them again.

Dave Easton, MD dboan@bluecrab.org