Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:27:21 -0700
From:         "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Source: Westfalia as mobile office

RE: Powering a laptop One thing you can do to simplify this. When choosing a laptop for purchase, check to see if there is a 12v 'car adapter' available for it. Surprisingly, a lot of the laptops require either an inverter or the adapter is in fact a small inverter. In my case I chose an HP Pavillion series, and the 12v adapter is just that, plugs straight in to the 12v socket, runs the laptop and charges the regular battery at the same time. A small inverter can sometimes be cheaper than the factory adapter, but be careful: Some laptop/inverter combinations won't work together, the computer power supply doesn't like the shape of the output from the inverter. As far as charging the aux battery, wire it into the charging system as an aux battery, you won't have to worry about remembering to attach the charger when you get home. I use a standard lead-acid battery for aux (flames coming, I know, I'll get shorter battery life but I'm not using every day, cost to replace a little earlier than deep cycle made up for in the long term cost), mounted under the driver seat. An example of use: In a one week stay in the high desert of eastern Oregon in August, I ran the laptop off the aux battery an average of two to three hours each day (processing astrophotography done the night before) each day for a week, and also ran a LCD TV for about an hour each morning and evening during that time. (laptop run from a separate 12v battery at the telescope for two to four hours each night at the telescope) I checked the aux battery each day, the lowest it dropped, toward the end of the week, was just under 12v. I didn't start the engine the entire week. Summary: You will probably get a lot more time out of your aux battery than you expect, and hooking it into the charging system solves the charging problem.

Loren A. Busch I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.