Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 1970 00:40:02 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      A tale of lights (not taillights)

So, it's the month (here in Virginia) that the GoldBrick has to get its safety inspection. I knew a few things were wrong, so I figured to fix them prior to the inspection.

Headlights. Right side brights not coming on. And indicator light in dash not working. Check fuse. Sure enough it's burnt out. Replace fuse. Brights and indicator light now work. Problem 1 solved.

Rear side marker light not working. Remove it and note that the housing is surprisingly corroded. Remove it. Use a couple of wire brushes on my dremel and clean off the corrosion off the electrical tabs (steel for the "ground side, brass for the copper hot side.) Reassemble. No light. Replace bulb. Light. Problem 2 solved.

Reverse lights not coming on. Check fuse. Fuse is good (make a note of this...) Check bulbs. Bulbs are fine. But no +12 volts getting to bulbs. Check Bentley. Pretty simple. Check connector in engine compartment wiring cabinet. No +12 volts. Okay, now to the backup switch. Incredibly grubby (dirt, grease and water.) Clean it off using brake cleaner (previously untried brand of brake cleaner.) Okay, now stick hands under running water and wait for the burning sensation to go away. What the hell was that stuff? Not carbon tet (thankfully) and no particular warning on label. Go back to previous brand and finish cleaning up the area around those wires. Okay. Clean wires. Check voltage. Hmm. No 12...no wait there was 12. Oh, blast try shorting out the wires. Okay, let's replace the fuse. Fuse is still good...Lucky I guess. Check wires again. no +12. Hmmm. Check fuse. check CORRECT fuse! Still good. Hmm. Check circuit diagram again. Okay, what else is on that hot circuit. Horn. Horn works. Okay, so I've still got power. Check for power at the fuse. No power at the fuse. Huh! That's not possible. Check fuse again. Still good. Tilted head look. Check wires in fuse socket. +12 volts. Put DIFFERENT fuse in. +12 volts on Fuse. Yea! Grrr. No backup lights. Remove wires from switch and tie them together directly. Backup lights. Okay, so I've got a bad backup light switch..At least that's all I left.

Bloody way to spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon.