Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:09:42 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Modified oil dipstick
Comments: cc: gull@GULL.US, gilles.turmel@SYMPATICO.CA

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Gilles H Turmel wrote:

> Hi List, > I'm looking for a source where I can get a modified oil dipstick that > would enable me to measure the oil level through the license plate of an > I4 50 deg conversion. > Best regards.

David Brodbeck wrote: Your diesel oil pan doesn't already have a stick?

I write: You should note that, IIRC, the earlier ('82) diesels used a dipstick which was integrated into the oil fill tube, which indeed attaches to the rear of the oil pan. The stick extended down thru the tube and into the oil pan to measure the level, and for inspection was withdrawn thru the oil fill cap.

Later diesels, such as my '83, instead utilized the same orifice on the engine block for the dipstick tube as did the inline-4 gasoline engines, but of course the tube then arced upward and rearward to a point near the license-plate door. Perhaps such a dipstick tube arrangement could be used on your I4 gasoline setup.

Good luck.

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"