Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:29:33 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans oil leak into bellhousing?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

Shawn: Most 091 trannies I have taken apart have some wear on the input shaft. I feel the shaft is at least part of the problem. I usually have extra used good shafts laying around, so I just swap them out, but I wonder if you could get one of those sleeves that presses over and provides a new surface for the seal to ride. Installation is a pretty easy job, getting the tranny out is the hardest part of it. I sometimes just reuse the old bell housing gasket if I don't have a new one. Once you've got the bell housing off. the seal will just knock out (and the new one, in) with a driver . Use an appropriately sized socket. The input shaft comes out pretty easily, too, but maybe you should look at a book to get the procedure. I once changed the one in my 82 diesel. With its 5.86 ring and pinion, unscrewing the input SEEMED impossible, but I eventually got it done. (You have to spin the reverse gear with the input attached past the ring gear.) Good luck! Al Brase 69 double cab 87 vanagon gl