Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:54:26 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: 83' won't start when hot
Comments: To: "Higginbotham, David A." <dhigginbotham@HAZENANDSAWYER.COM>

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Higginbotham, David A. wrote:

> Someone else mentioned testing with a test light or an ohmmeter. My > neighbor has an ohmmeter but neither one of us really know how to use > it. This might be a good opportunity for both of us to learn something > but I don't want to trash my neighbor's tool even if he doesn't use it. > How do I use an ohmmeter to test this?

Put the meter on the ohms function. Disconnect the wire to the temperature sensor. Connect one lead of the meter to the wire going into the sensor, and the other to the body of the sensor (which is grounded.) Keep your fingers off the metal probe tips or your body's resistance will skew the reading. The Bentley will probably tell you the normal range of values; I'd list it for you but I don't have mine handy right now. If you read 0 or infinity the sensor is definately bad.

(Depending on the meter you may need to pick a range. Pick a the lowest range that has a full-scale value more than what Bentley says the maximum resistance of the sender is. For example, if the maximum resistance is 600 ohms, you'd probably pick the 1k (1000 ohm) range.)