Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:31:03 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Westy cabinet lid prop?
Comments: cc: azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET

After one too many rapped knuckles while rummaging around for my peanut butter and crackers, I decided a solution was in order for this most persistant and vexing of Westy adversities, perhaps second only to leaky head gaskets.

I found something suitable at a local hardware store, and at a nearby woodcrafting shop. About four bucks. Called Support Hinges, they are commonly used to hold open the lids of jewelry boxes, suitcases, toy chests, etc.. In fact, you'll find an almost identical one propping up the lid of your sink cabinet. I discreetly installed one on the lid of the galley cabinet just aft of the stove, to conveniently hold it open while I forage for a snack.

I could only find them in brass-plated. I suppose if you wanted it to match the sink-lid support hinge, you could wire brush the brass off and then hit it with chrome spray paint or clear polyurethane. Or better yet, obtain an original Westfalia sink-lid support hinge. IMPORTANT: if purchasing a hardware-store hinge, follow the directions on the package for aligning and drilling -- the geometry of these hinges is crucial for proper functioning.

I'm told the EuroVan Westies use a slick, pneumatic version, so try the VW dealer but be prepared for much head-scratching and probably a handsome price. But maybe not. Otherwise try a good RV shop -- either local or online -- to try and find one of a suitable size.

Good luck, and in the meantime keep your fingers out of the way!

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"