Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:52:44 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Who works on your Vanagon?

Your best bet for quality work is a small shop, where the owner is in there turning wrenches himself... because this is the only kind of mechanic that has a motive to do a good job (he can get repeat business, or go out of business). The mechanics at any chain (Midas, Sears or your local VW shop) are just hourly employees... look around at your own job, and ask yourself how many of your co-workers are *really* competent, or *really* care about the quality of their work...

Finding a good independent mechanic is still hit-or-miss, I'd rate them based on customer satisfaction (ask folks who've used them), longevity of the business (a bad independent mechanic won't likely be in business after 10-15 years). You might also want to take into account the neatness/organization of the shop (orderly, methodical mechanics are less likely to forget to tighten the bolts... don't laugh, I've had it happen). Finally, talk to the mechanic and gauge his attitude. I'd rather take my Van to a mechanic that is curious about an unusual vehicle than one that regards it as a chore.

All that said, I do most of my own work, it's the only way I can guarantee that the job will be done to my (way-too-exacting) standards. It helps that I have something else to drive, since most repairs end up waiting on the might-as-well-replace-this-while-I've-got-all-this-taken-apart part. Usually, the cost of the parts and any tools I need to buy are less than the cost of going to a mechanic. Plus, I always learn something new.

This, plus 398 more cents, will get you a cup of Starbucks.

Tim

At 04:16 PM 10/14/2003 -0400, Larry Petty wrote: >I know a lot of us do what repair work we can on our Vanagons. I am >wondering where you go when you are not able to do the repair. For >instance, can Midas do a brake job? Can Sears do a front end alignment? >Is the Vanagon so specialized that a franchise shop will screw it up or >can you rely on them to do miscellaneous tasks like this? My VW guy put >brakes on my Vanagon and screwed them up royally. I'm not sure I want >him to do anything but engine work in the future. > >Larry P. >87 Westy "Vinnie" >2003 NBC "Cookie II" > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 9/29/2003 >