Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:19:26 -0700
From:         Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Overheating causes?

I wrote earlier asking about the fan test regarding my hot-running diesel. I got lots of great advice and links. However, I just drove if to a meeting a mile or so away in light traffic, shut it off, attended the half hour meeting and drove it back.

the temp needle was swinging pretty high by the time I got back. I also watched it rise dramatically just a few blocks from home, the dramatic rise slowing at mid-range but continuing to rise till I shut off the engine.

Then I drove home, same thing. Never let it get all the way hot, but I could smell hot coolant when I arrived.

One list member mentioned checking after a short ride for an air bubble. I did, and pure coolant came out. I noticed, however, that the bottom or the radiator was lukewarm, and everything above that was cool.

Stuck thermostat? Obviously the water pump was working pretty good to pump water to the top of the radiator.

What is involved in changing a thermostat?

Thanks,

Jim