Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:31:00 -0400
From:         Michael Vickey <vickrail@VELOCITY.NET>
Subject:      Re: temp II sensor (syncro)

I would bet that your problem lies here:

Look for a ground wire (brown) that comes out of the sheath of wires that goes to the base of the distributor (Hall Sender). The brown wire I am mentioning is a ground wire for the ECU (terminal 19, I think). This ground wire terminates either under the left-side engine intake, or (more likely) on the oil breather tower.

If this wire terminates on the oil breather tower, move it to a bare-metal location, or add a second ground wire to it that does. In the event you find the wire terminates at bare metal already, clean it up.

In my experience as an owner of over 30 water-cooled vanagons, I am fairly certain that having this ground making a good contact will solve your problem.

Michael Vickey

Personal VW web page: http://www.velocity.net/~vickrail/moshevw.htm