Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:09:19 -0700
From:         "Tom L. Salicos" <TomSalicos@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Help me understand mud flaps !

For my '87 Westy Syncro:

I ordered a RIGHT FRONT mud flap from an unnamed vendor. I received a mud flap that is an identical match for the LEFT, FRONT mud flap. The LEFT FRONT mud flap is longer, and has a bracket with screw holes to secure its bottom to the vehicle. The alleged RIGHT FRONT mud flap that came also has a bracket on the bottom with screw holes, but there are no mating holes on the RIGHT FRONT mud flap position on the vehicle. The RIGHT FRONT mud flap should also be shorter than the LEFT FRONT mud flap. I think the RIGHT FRONT mud flap, being smaller, relies on the pins (or screws), and does not need the mounting bracket.

My problem is that the original RIGHT FRONT mud flap was discarded by my paint shop, because the securing screws had rusted out.

Additionally, the right side fender has three holes in the body to accept pins from the RIGHT FRONT mud flap. The alleged RIGHT FRONT mud flap I received has but two pins that don't line up.

I complained, but was told that the vehicle probably didn't have the mud flaps when it was new, and the mud flaps were added. That is why the holes are different. Poppycock !

After sending photos of the alleged RIGHT FRONT mud flap that I was sent, shown in proximity to the actual LEFT FRONT mud flap, proving that they were identical, Ron let someone else contact me to say that they were sending me a proper RIGHT FRONT mud flap.

Today I received the replacement RIGHT FRONT mud flap that is again, F***ing identical to the LEFT FRONT mud flap.

So my question to the List is, did Volkswagen decide that the RIGHT FRONT mud flap is somehow interchangable with the LEFT FRONT mud flap, and send the unnamed vendor a part that I would somehow figure out how to mount ? Am I not correct, that the RIGHT, FRONT mud flap secures through the three holes, and does not utilize the same mounting as the LEFT FRONT mud flap?

Tom Salicos '87 Syncro Westy '76 Bug