Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:11:18 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight Alternatives for 89 Carat
Comments: To: mulligan_kevin@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 10/17/03 6:12:42 PM, mulligan_kevin@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< The SA grill seems like it may be more cost-effective in the long run, if you think you may break one or more lenses. Although this option may be more expensive inititially, my understanding is that it uses standard-sized lights -- so that you can replace them at a relatively low cost.>>

I just completed a SA grille conversion, well, almost. My thoughts:

1/ The grille is very flimsy compared to what I know of the two other styles.

2/ I do not like the press-on mounting studs as opposed to the quarter turn fasteners which are used on the other grilles. These press-on studs make quick mounting of the grille, but I will dread removing the fragile grille in the future, especially after time and weather take their tolls.

3/ Three of the mounting fasteners (2 studs, 1 screw) do not align with any existing locations on the body so I still have to fabricate mounting receptacles for them.

4/ The perceived low cost of headlamp replacement for the SA setup has a pitfall. The inner 5 3/4" high beam light seems to be the same as its square counterpart in that it might be ONLY available from VW.

5/ I would NOT do this again. Instead, I would follow my original instincts and adapt a set of standard 5 1/4" X 7 1/4" headlight buckets to the Vanagon headlight plate. Then, at a cost of $80 / pair, I would mount a pair of standard H4, E-code lights. Although the standard 5 X 7's do not match the curve of the original modular units, when I mocked up one in place, the untrained eye could not tell the difference. Mounting garden variety 5X7's would have been far less costly with less screwing around. Live and learn.

George