Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:40:19 +0100
From:         Tony Polson <tp@WHSMITHNET.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Is Seam Rust Futile?

Brett wrote: > > I have a 90 Vanagon and it has seam rust at the drivers side just below the back of the door. The rust has not broke through but has bubbled up some. Should I grind it out putty and paint? What is the prognosis on stopping it and having my van live on rust free for year to come?

Hi Brett,

The first thing to learn is that Vanagon seam rust almost always starts on the inside and works its way outwards. This means that you cannot kill seam rust from the outside. You must treat it on the inside if you are to have any hope of stopping it in its tracks.

I had rust in several seams around my Vanagon and therefore decided to remove the whole interior. I spent several days treating the rust with a phosphoric acid based rust killer (UK brand "Kurust") and applying a corrosion preventing liquid wax (UK brand "Waxoyl") which inhibits further rusting by excluding oxygen.

Several weeks later, after allowing the wax to dry, I treated the exterior rust by picking out the mastic sealant, sanding away rust, applying "Kurust" and finally applying new mastic and paint.

It's worth using a top quality non-shrink mastic that remains flexible for years. Cheap mastic tends to shrink and crack, allowing water (and salt) ingress that starts the rusting all over again.

I have used this approach on several vehicles over the years and it seems to stop the progress of all but well-established heavy corrosion, which obviously needs panels cut out and replaced.

If you only treat the outside the rust will return within weeks or months. Treat the inside and the outside and your repair should last years.

HTH,

Tony