Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:20:33 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Cylinder Heads...cleaning up
Comments: cc: JonnyC22@MSN.COM

Johathan, You would have more options if you would do the work yourself. when you pay someone to do the work it is in the interest of all to do the job once and not risk having to put more work into it later. This being said the heads fit against the cylinders in a way that if you planed them and tried to use them the big rubber gasket would likely fail. If you could get a slightly thinner barrel shim that was thinner by the same amount as the head was shaved you might be ok? Some people have gone with filling in with jb weld. This could work for you if the pitting is not too deep and is not near the place where the sleeve meets the head and your valves are in good shape. I have attached some information about this. One item that there is not any agreement about is the cause of the head pitting. Some say it is the coolant. I do not believe it is the coolant so much as poor maintance. Once any sign of coolant leaking is seen at the head gasket, this gasket should be replace to save the head from pitting. By sign I do not mean coolant leaking on the ground but rather evidence leakage that apears as grey residue where the rubber meets the head. replacement than means a very easy job. Let me know if you need anything else. gary

Hey volks,

I've decided to get the heads done on my westie! They've been dripping i= n the colder weather(Fall, I store it in Winter) and to avoid a catastrop= he I've decided to get it done! It's a '90 w/ about 110,000 miles and I = am the third owner. The mechanic took them off and examined them, then s= ent me a message about not feeling comfortable about placing them back on= . I've seem pitting on the seam of cylinder heads and cannot believe the= se little bubbles/gaps create such a problem for our boxers!!?? When I s= uggest the idea of planing them he adamently said that was not an option!= WHY, what does it do to the cylinder head if they get planes and cleane= d up. It would not touch the compression area, or does it. My mech, who= I believe is on the level, but just wondering why the option of planing = was totally out of the question. Heads he said would be 475 ea. to repla= ce. I know I can get them cheaper from the list!!

Any help/info. is appreciated

I want to clean up the heads, Why can't I

thanx =20 JON 90 Westie(stripped, inside and out) 88 Gl (Needs new gas tank, fuel lines, Inj. cleaning)

I love these vans, but...........I'm thinking parts van or other soon...r= eal soon!!!! Any ideas or offers!!!