Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:08:21 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      few FYI items

I wanted to share a few FYI items that members may find useful

1st. at Wal-mart they have some mini kitchen utensils that will actually fit better in the Westfalia under sink drawer. ($4 +/-)

2nd, at the hardware store in the area for drop ceilings there are these lil spring clamps for adding a tension wire to a section of drop ceiling. well they have half inch rubber contacts and grab with a nice amount of tension, I haven't found a suitable camping use for them yet (envisioning a impromptu clothes drying line) but the pair was under $3

the rubber step pads on your vans dog leggs.. (in the front door foot wells) remove them and inspect the paint/rust quality.. this is IMO a poor design by VW and measures should be taken to assure they don't rot out.

also remove the cover over the slider rail (2 screws) and inspect/clean the body panel behind the slider it can collect water and rust, weakening your slider track and door operation.

at Marine Supply places and large craft stores they have moisture absorbants for storing items long term, they are cheap, reusable and can help to protect against seam rust from forming while your van is not in use.

I do a lot of shopping/browseing at marine supply places as they have great unique and specialty items for harsh environments..

they have whitener products for Fiberglass that I haven't yet tried but am eagerly anticipating.

thats it for now, unless anyone else has some handy items/pointers they'd like to share.. help me get over hump day