Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:06:28 -0600
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Optima Battery Discussion
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, SyncroSA@yahoogroups.com,
          "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          ev_update@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, vwcc@yahoogroups.com,
          vw-camping@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

I'm confused by the Optima Battery discussions that occur from time to time.

According to most of what I have read ... the system I have shouldn't work, . yet it seems to be peforming well under extremely difficult usage circumstances.

Not intending to discredit any previous posting .. just want to understand and learn.

My Setup:

Two Optima Batteries (Yellow top for Aux and Red top for Starting) Battery mounting .. Red upright / Yellow on its side Standard Vanagon Factory Dual battery setup with hella relay Marine two battery selector switch (4 position) Two 75 Watt Solar Panels and solar controller Onboard 2 bank / 20 amp per bank / 110V battery charger

My Usage:

Camping & Living 24/7 for over 7 months or 241 straight days. All Auxiliary equipment (and there is a lot) runs each night off "BOTH" batteries. Every night both batteries are taken down to a full discharge state. Full Discharge State defined as 11.5 - 11.78 volts. Some days the batteries are taken to a full discharge state more than once. Each morning the Van starts right up (moderate weather temps no lower than 17 F). I estimate that the batteries have been taken to full discharge for over 300 cycles. The Batteries are rated at just over 200 discharge cycles. Vehicle Alternator charge voltage ranges from 12.3 - 13.8 volts (dependijg on discharge state). Both batteries fully recharge after 2-3 hrs of driving or 2-3 hrs with onboard 110 V battery charger or 4-6 hrs with the solar panels. Full Charge State defined as 12.7 - 12.8 volts. Nightly Electrical usage average 6 amps per hour for 5-6 hrs per night.

Notes:

- Gell cells like the optimas don't "outgas" ..... I like that a lot since both batteries are inside the living area. - I often run the vehicle alternator for 10-15 minutes to partially recharge both fully discharged batteries. This partial recharge usually gives me 2 hrs of usage. - Elect consumption includes laptop computer, Satelite Dish Tuner, 15" LCD TV, Stereo, LED Lighting.

Comments:

Based on what I've read on "Optima Battery" list discussions,

- The batteries aren't receiving enough voltage to properly recharge ... but they do! - They shouldn't have lasted this long ... but they have!

* BTW ... based on the heavy usage I expect to replace both batteries soon since they have already performed beyond specifications.

Can some please explain why this set up seems to be working rather well?

Larry Chase

Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: <http://www.roadhaus.com/> www.RoadHaus.com Cell: 480 620 8966 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Yellowstone Nat Prk