Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:23:23 -0700
From:         trooz <trooz@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery dead again

Steve wrote: <<From: Steve Mozurkewich <stevem@WWNET.NET> Subject: Battery is dead again

Ok. It's dead. Again. I'm Pissed. Something is sucking power when my van is just sitting. I drive the van once or twice a week. Any ideas? Please help!!!>>

I've just gone through a very frustrating year, starting with frying the alternator shortly after leaving for Washington state from southern California last January. Six months later, the battery was dead. My local mechanic said the alternator was shot and replaced it with some POS (so described by a mechanic in Mammoth Lakes after, once again, a dead battery). The guy in Mammoth said the exciter wire to the alternator wasn't putting out 12v, which he said was called for. He jury-rigged something--sorry I can't be more specific--and two days later the battery was dead. When I returned to my local mechanic--yes, one can drive 300 plus miles on a freshly charged battery--he apologized for not putting in a rebuilt Bosch alternator, which he said they usually did; he checked everything out, put in a rebuilt Bosch and it's been fine since (almost a month now).

If something is draining the battery, that should be an easy find for a qualified mechanic. If, as in my case, the alternator light doesn't come on when in fact it's not charging, or barely charging, that too should be easy to spot if they just dig a little. One listee suggested replacing the charge indicator bulb, suggesting that if its resistance was high it could affect the exciter wire voltage. Whether it was simply putting a rebuilt Bosch in or not, I don't know, but I'm using the a/c (we're having a little bit of late summer weather) , playing the stereo, and starting in the morning.

Good luck. By the way, Costco sells a neat little battery booster/250 lb. inflator/trouble light for about seventy bucks. I bought one just for insurance, and was pleased to find that the pump has no problems at all putting 150 lb. in my bicycle tires.

Bob Trousdale '90 Westy