Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:30:22 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - WY & SD East Bound Travel suggestions
Comments: To: roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM

In a message dated 10/21/2003 7:42:30 PM EST, roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM writes:

<< Mt Rushmore, SD.

Any other suggestion along the way? >>

When you get up to Mt. Rushmore ask one of the park rangers how far it is to the real Mt. Rushmore. (Sorry, but that thing looks a lot bigger in post cards)

Right outside Cody, WY there is the remnance of a concentration camp used to incarcerate asians during world war two. I think it's just north of Cody but can't find info on its exact where abouts. maybe someone can chime in. There is a small monumont there and some remaining buildings. I'm sure the locals must know where it is, although its not a shining star in American history so it seems to be a bit of a secret. It is an interesting spot.

If you get to Jackson there are a lot of surprisingly good restaruants. The Blue Lion on N. Millward St. stands out in my mind for dinner.

The medicine wheel in the Big Horn National Forest of route Alt 14 is a Native American spiritual ground said to have healing powers. There's an interesting energy around the medicine wheel and its a good place to meditate--even if not formally. There are stones positioned into a wheel shape on the ground thought to be in reference to the soltice. Information as to how old the wheel is is sketchy. Native Americans still use the site for rituals.

And if you can time it right there's a great spot for breakfast in Sturgis, SD called Bob's Family Restaurant at 1039 Main Street. (NOT related to Bob's Big Boy) A great place for pancakes and coffee and it really beats stopping at Denny's.

That's about all I can recall up to now. Best Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA