Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:30:00 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Junkyard finds, 85 Syncro (F)

Tomorrow is half price day at a chain of self serve yards mostly found in SoCal so I made the rounds to several of them in the last couple of days just to see what gems might be available. Not as many Vanagons are showing up in these places as this year goes on. I had gotten used to a new one showing up 2 or 3 times a week but 2 or 3 a month is more like it now. Mostly water cooled models from 82-87, Campers now and then. Parts are staying on them longer, too. A complete diesel engine setup was at one place for a month before I broke down and bought it all to save it from the crusher.

I stopped at one yard this morning to get a few minor items from a full Westy loaf that was already well picked over and to see what new had shown up. The table brackets I wanted were still there so I grabbed them along with one of the "H" pipes that are always breaking on 1.9 cooling systems. As I wandered through the rows I saw that they were putting out a fresh batch of cars across the yard so I went to see what fresh meat there was to pick at. Right away I spotted a Syncro but with the old style pre 86 headlights. I checked the vin and sure enough, an 85. I was likely the first person to get at it and everything was there so I decided to see what I could grab in the few spare minutes I had. One thing I saw right away that I wanted was the diff lock vacuum switch and led panel. I am planning to put a locker tranny in one of my 2wd Vanagons someday so getting that stuff should simplify hooking up the diff control and indicator. This one had a dual vacuum switch as it also had a center locker or some such. I had to leave in a hurry so some other vulture will get the rest. Not that many people are interested in Quantum parts anyway.

I went to the checkout window, held up my 5 items, "what is that?" she says pointing to the difflock panel. Vacuum switch says I. $8.36 total for everything says she. Dang, she is in a good mood, why didn't I grab more? If I had I probably would have gotten the cashier at the next window anyway, the one scowling and making another customer cuss under his breath in Spanish.

Mark