Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:13:28 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      fastener seats - was Will these wheels fit?
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM

Ben and the list.

I was wondering if you can share some more of your excellent knowledge on wheels - more precisely how to correctly determine the correct fastener for the wheel.

From what I understand there is a the basic M12 and M14 stud, which is pretty easy to figure out (size in mm of the hole). But how do you correctly determine if it is a ball or a cone and what type of ball or cone it is?

From what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong. All *factory* T3 (Vanagon) wheels are M14 stud and ball fasteners for steel wheels and cone for alloy wheels. What is usually used for Audi and MB? I know the VW Iltis used M14 ball - I am running these wheels (16 x 5.5 ET35) on my Syncro Pritsche with 30mm of spacing - net result of E35. I know sometimes this can get confusing as there are some alloy wheels in Germany that are M14 stud but have M12 ball seats!

Why I ask this, is that I have a set of 16x6.5 ET23 "ATP" alloy wheels in my garage that I can't quite figure out what I should use to hold the wheel in place. I had the hub opened up to the same hub diameter as the Syncro wheels. But I want to determine the correct fastener to use.

Also, is there any known way to determine load rating? These wheels were originally purchased on eBay as Audi A8 wheels, but as with all things on eBay you have to take that with a grain of salt. To see pictures of these wheels please see: http://www.fastforward.ca/gallery/loraine.jpg

Thanks Ben!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.