Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:15:02 +0000
From:         Chris DeLong <green536@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lug Nuts for Audi 5000 Turbo Wheels
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

><< FYI (just to add to what Ben said; ALL Audi's after'85 have 14mm bolt >diameters. Bolt pattern on Audi wheels with 5 holes is 5x112 which is the >same as our Vanagons. All Audis use ball shaped seats. So do all VW's. This >is of course directly pertaining to stock OEM wheels. >> > >Chris, let's not generalize this too much. NOT all Audi's after 85 have the >5X112mm bolt pattern. The VW based Audi TT has a 5X100mm bolt pattern. Ask >me >how I know this? Remember those beautiful TT alloys I was selling not too >long >ago? I originally bought them for my Syncro. Although I could have easily >had >them redrilled to he correct bolt pattern for less than $100, they exposed >too >much of their vulnerable centers for off-road use.

My bad. I forgot about the TT.

Take care to check the >seats of the wheels you are contemplating. Some are designed for Allen head >"tuner" lugbolts and do NOT have the same radius as the ballseats on most >14mm >bolts/studs.

I would be curious as to what wheels that are Audi factory units that do not come with ballseat style holes.

> ><< On the scary side :) I did not lengthen my rear studs for the A4 wheels >on >my Van. I have put the van to the test (and no I am not talking about long >freeway driving) and they havent fallen off yet. This of course is >compounded with 5mm spacers too. :) The fronts have spacers that are 25mm >thick and I used Audi bolts to attach them to the spacers. No problem there >either (except for some rubbing which has been cured).>> > >As discussed in this forum many times in the past, VW engineers have stated >that you need that 7.5 turns for safe attachment. Though you can surely get >away with much less, there will be less margin for error. I have seen >stripped >studs at a local VW shop. On one case the stud exhibited stripping on the >3rd >thread. That told me this guy was only engaged about three turns. I guess >that >did not meet with the minimum standard. > >Your wheels may not have fallen off on your driving excursions but be >careful >driving around tight corners with a full load.

Dont get me wrong, I would not recommend ANYONE to have their wheels attached the way mine are. It is definitely not a good idea.

Chris DeLong

_________________________________________________________________ Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es