Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:49:35 -0600
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      [FS] '89 Wolfsburg automatic passenger van

1989 Vanagon Wolfsburg Carat 105,000 miles Blue 2.1 auto, ps, pb, pw, rear defog, heated power mirrors, rear facing jump seats and engine cover cushion, alloys, stock radio exterior condition-good, interior condition-good, mechanical condition-very good

This van was mechanically reconditioned and was to have pop-top added. I have suffered a back injury which prohibits me crawling under the van and without that, what fun is it? Additionally, local dealership has shunned my van and adds too many digits to any service estimate for my taste so I've taken up a '96 Passat Wagon that barely holds my diagnostic equipment but is more service friendly. I'll have to come up with another plan for camping bliss.

Items new since 1999 part and approx cost - labor my own Front wheel bearings and seals-Spring 1999-$51 Front brake rotors-Spring 1999-$86 Brake pads all wheels-Spring 1999-$75 Engine longblock - Boston Engine Exchange-Spring 2000-$3200 Engine gaskets all-Spring 2000 Coolant hoses, engine compartment-Spring 2000-$180 Fuel lines, engine compartment-Spring 2000-$80 Thermostat housing and cover-Spring 2000-$79 Coolant flush-Spring 2000 O2 sensor-Spring 2000-$130 Transmission service-Spring 2000 Bosch plug wires and cap-Spring 2000-$80 Michelin Weatherwise tires 4-Summer 2000-$371 Fuel filter-Fall 2000 Battery-Winter 2001-$37 Professional window tint rear of cabin-Spring 2001-$217 Power window switches-Spring 2001-$45 Radiator hoses front-Summer 2001-$110 Coolant flush-Summer 2001 Windshield (Safelite) new gasket-Summer 2001-$245 Accelerator cable-Summer 2001-$24 Pass side CV joints and boots inner/outer-Summer 2001-$80 Reman Distributor-Summer 2001-$160 Driver window regulator-Winter 2001-$120 Radiator-Summer 2002-$210 Coolant flush-Summer 2002 Shock absorbers KYB-Summer 2002-$110 Exhaust manifold front-Summer 2002-$90 Reman Alternator-Winter 2003-$101 Coolant distributor-Summer 2003-$45 Coolant Expansion Tank-Summer 2003-$43 Coolant flush-Summer 2003 Exhaust manifold rear-Summer 2003-$100 Muffler OEM-Summer 2003-$110 Stainless hardware exhaust-Summer 2003 Brake pads front wheels-Summer 2003-$30 Total new listed-$6062

Most items above have a receipt, many other items not listed were purchased and installed over the years as well.

Known Issues: rear wiper inoperative, not investigated front wiper squirter inoperative, needs cleaning at contacts on base of switch fuel leak on top of tank-leaks when topping completely, needs kit from vanagain.com central locking system quit working from driver door, likely needs power wire replaced at door jamb A/C inoperative, all components work-has charge but believe the expansion valve is clogged. A/C center flow tube not installed passenger window switch not yet replaced, have switch roof paint is oxidized no known rust but I do see minute color below driver door in seam fiberglass cladding and bumpers could use some attention, not broken but bad paint and some chips in front.

Price: $4400 firm -located in SW Missouri comes with extra parts including new ps pump o-ring kit (current pump doesn't leak just wanted to recondition), used coolant reservoir, some electrical relays, interior bits like handles and vents, used auto transaxle (was to be reconditioned for use), and 2" receiver toe-hook trailer hitch Obviously I didn't scrimp on this van since it was to be my dream machine. This van starts and runs great everyday of the week. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere as that was my plan. I will deliver to Kansas City, St. Louis, Tulsa or anywhere in between.

I don't have pics today but will shoot some later this week for those interested. If no one here is interested, it goes to e-bay.

Thanks to many of you who have helped me solve the vanagon's many mysteries and thanks to the list for it's existence. I plan to lurk for awhile as I've gained some knowledge and hope to share where I can.

Jeff