Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:13:28 -0700
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      FW: Light Bulb Replacements and Relay Kits

Robert,

I have experience with the PIAA bulbs from two different perspectives.

As a consumer I installed a set in my SO's 1990 Audi 200 Quattro Wagon, and they were an improvement over stock. But then again a lit candle would be better than U.S. spec. headlights. As we carried the PIAA bulbs at the dealership I work for, I was able to try several different bulbs in one session, on a dark night away from city lights. I found that the "Platinum" "Super Whites" gave the best light for the Audi, but the improvment was marginal. One year later the front of the Audi had a close encounter with the bumper on a Land Rover, which is just high enough to clear the Audi's bumper and take out the headlights. I took this new opportunity and purchased a set of european spec. headlights, they were a BIG improvement, even over the PIAA's. The Euro spec. lights use the H4 style bulb which gives you a much larger selection of wattages to choose from.

As a retailer, I work for the local Acura/Honda dealer, I have not been impressed with the reliability of the PIAA lights. We have had a very high failure rate on them, and though they have a warranty, it takes a long time for us to get reimbursed for them. Because of this we no longer carry them.

I have yet to address the headlight issue on our 87 Westy Syncro, but when I do, I plan to start with the relay upgrade first. I was considering the SA grill and light kit also, but after reading the recent post from a member regarding their experience I expect that I will instead go with the Euro spec. lights from Fast Forward Automotive. The PIAA bulbs are an improvement over stock, but not as good as I want for night time driving, which we do here in AK much of the year(only five hours of daylight on December 21st). The SA grill and light kit sounds a little flimsy and requires more modification than I want on the front of our van. I know that the Euro light kit will provide the light that I want, and has many more bulb choices than stock. The only real draw back that I see to them, besides the initial cost, is suseptibility to damage, for which I will use some form of protective covers. Good headlights are a necessity, you do not want to be driving your van when 1200lbs

of Alaskan moose steps in front of you.

Mark in AK Wholesale Parts Dept. Continental Auto LLC Anchorage, AK 87 Westy Syncro 90 Audi 200 Quattro (with Euro spec. lights) 90 Jeep Cherokee (also with H4 headlights) Cannondale H300 (w/ 40 watt headlight)

Hi All,

Was looking to purchase the headlight relay kit from Volkscafe.com and

found out they do not have a discount for Vanagon.com list serv members just an FYI.

I was looking to purchase the relay kit and new bulb replacements, they sell these $84 PIAA bulbs that they claim are much better (birghter at the same wattage) than the standard high wattage 80/100 watt bulbs.

What are peoples experience with these bulbs, are they worth it for driving/brightıs?

What are other good replacement bulbs at the 80/100 wattage?

Whatıs the difference with between the $85 dollar bulbs and the $25 dollar bulbs I see?

What are the Xennon lights?

http://volkscafe.com/index.php?sec=van&VSES=9afa170f998bad7f5061730f884a3b0d

If I want to add the newer relay kit with high wattage bulbs can I also add a set of Hella XLıs without problem on the fuseıs and electrical system?

Is the VolksCafe relay kit better than Busdepot or any other companies? Your feedback?

Thanks, Robert NYC

Carat 89

------ Forwarded Message From: Volks Cafe <customercare@volkscafe.com> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:56:40 -0700 To: robertmstewart <robertmstewart@mac.com> Subject: Re: Discount for Vanagon List Serv Members?

Thank you for the inquiry, but I have just one price which I try to keep as low as possible while still making a fair profit. I have this past month updated the pricing on the whole site with many more prices being lowered

than raised. These PIAA bulbs are expensive because they put out brighter light while drawing the same current that the stock light draw. Although the PIAA lights are the top of the line, the other lights will work when you have the relay kit. If you would like I can sell you the $25 pair as well (80/100 watt) . You can also get a set of the high beams (100 watt) for $25 as well. If interested then place your normal shopping cart order and then send an email asking me to add these. Thanks Again,

Peter

http://volkscafe.com (Online Vanagon Parts Store)

------ End of Forwarded Message