Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:06:07 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Powder coating door handles
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu>

At 07:42 AM 10/29/2003, you wrote:

>the down side to powder coating in my rustbelt experience is the lack of >creep resistance. although you can purchase creep resistant powder >coating supplies almost no one that i know of uses them. take a look at >trailer hitches to see what i mean. the powder coat comes off in sheets >after the rust creeps underneath and the pressure exerted between the >steel and the powder coat peels the powder coating off.

I expect this can be prevented by a better preparation process. It's just like chrome. If it's done quick and dirty to meet a price point it will fail. If extra time/money is invested in good application, preparation and process, it can refuse such issues and give long life. I've seen lots of production chrome fall off in sheets the first time you flex it. I've see good chrome you can't get off without grinding or acid. You can only remove it molecule by molecule. I don't know, can powder coat be applied over 98% zinc primer?? That's the way to stop rust creep for enamel. Thorsen process zinc coat would surely add both to cost and longevity in regard to any scratch that might get through such a high load part as a trailer hitch.