Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:04:54 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: vacuum forming

> Wow! What a handy tool to have in you garage! How about making a > shelf/map-pocket/cup holder thingie to replace or attach to the plastic > center housing underneath the dash. I always thought VW could have been > more creative with that piece. And add a waste-basket bag holder to it, > too, while you're at it. I'd buy one. How do you plan to make tooling?

i found some cup-holder thingies that work great ... will actually hold a decent size cup, and spare change. :) got them at www.auto-barn.com ... skipping forward through Accessories-Interior, and Consoles/Cup-holders, you get to this page ... http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/consoles1.html the ones i got were Rubber Queen Cup-n-stuff holders for $3.99. the black matches the dash/console pretty well. but you might see some other stuff in there that you might like better.

the trick is attaching them to the center plastic console piece. getting the piece off the dash is the worst part. it's held on by two little clip-grabber thingies on each side at the top. the clip-grabber thingies are molded into the piece and stick into a slot in/on the dash. so you have to gently pry the corners of the piece away from the dash ... and it feels like it's not gonna let go. but if you wiggle it enough on one side, you can get the grabbers to let go on that side ... and then the other side is easier. once it's been out a time or two, it comes off easier ... the grabbers edges get a bit rounded off. :) anyway, i used small stove bolts, washers and nuts to attach the cup-holders to the console piece. you have to test several positions before drilling, because of the ducting on the backsie of the piece ... put the hole in the wrong place and you won't be able to get the nut on the bolt. :(

one DISadvantage is if you like cold drinks when the heater is on ... forget it: the heater blows right down onto the cup-holders. nice if you wanna keep coffee or tea hot, but otherwise, whatever is in the cup holder is gonna get warmed up. unless you move the cup holders higher on the piece ... then you have a problem fitting decent sized drive-through cups into the holders without interference from the edge of the dash.

.. it's always something! ;)

joel