Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:27:44 EST
From:         Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: window removal -- bad news

Thanks to the folks who responded to my call for window removal instructions. With repeated prying and shimming, it came out in one piece. For anyone else who wants to do this alone, get a big suction cup and use it with a rope as a safety line. Worked for me.

Now, the bad news. The rear lower corner of the window is a serious mess. Holes big enough to park a truck in. About 2" of the lip the window fits onto is gone. All this was hidden from view -- I thought I just had a rust bubble back there, maybe a tiny hole. WRONG!! My little clean-up rust job is now a major rebuild of the area. Well, I haven't done any body work in a few years, guess I need the practice.

One clue I overlooked in all this was the red rust stains on the paint below the window. The more I think about it, there was no way that the rust bubble should have done that much staining. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, big warning to everybody, look for rust around your windows. As usual.

While I'm here, I'll tell you about my other body work. I've been cleaning out the seam sealer in parts of my van, and I am using a carbon-steel wire wheel on a dremel tool. It rips the stuff out pretty well, and goes in deep due to it's small size. As you dig it out, you can see the dust color change from white to red as you hit rust pockets. Fun. The wheels are worn out after one full seam, but they are only $2.50 each, so no big deal.

Back to work!

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" Aurora, IL