Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:12:20 -0500
From:         "sam.cooks" <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      [Fwd: [Syncro] GAS Additives: DRIVING; My Gasoline Beats Yours
              (Doesn't It?)   Welcome,
              dixoncj      DRIVING; My Gasoline Beats Yours (Doesn't It?)]
Comments: To: wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com, vw-camping@yahoogroups.com

FYI from my correspondence with Chris Dixon of the NYTimes who wrote an article about Syncro Westies a few months ago, is a Syncro Westy owner. He kindly tracked down an article I remembered reading but couldn't locate with a NYT archives search.

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [Syncro] GAS Additives: DRIVING; My Gasoline Beats Yours (Doesn't It?)? Welcome, dixoncj DRIVING; My Gasoline Beats Yours (Doesn't It?) Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:50:50 EST From: jahsurf@aol.com To: sam.cooks@verizon.net, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Hey Sam I didn't write it, but wish I did. Here it is. Cheers, Chris Dixon

DRIVING; My Gasoline Beats Yours (Doesn't It?)

By GEORGE P. BLUMBERG

EVERYONE knows the woman who buys only Mobil, or the man who drives five miles and passes 10 gas stations to get to the BP pump. And everyone knows the driver who brags that he will only fill up at the cheapest station in town -- and always knows which one it is. Some of us also know the tomato-tomahto couple who can't agree: one partner is fastidious about gasoline, demanding only a particular brand; the other would rather get it at Wal-Mart and save a couple of dollars for coffee. So, who is right? Does the driver who insists on a higher-priced brand of gasoline guard his automobile from decay and disruption? Or is he a chump, falling for empty marketing slogans? Ah, if the question were only that simple. Yes, there are differences in brands of gasoline, but then again, there aren't. What's safe is a two-part conclusion. All gasoline sold in the United States is basically the same stuff, mingled near the distribution point in the same gigantic tanks, and it is all of good quality. But when the gasoline rivers branch off to be pumped into separate trucks, companies tinker with it, taking that consistently good product (whether regular or premium) and spicing it with their own chemical signatures, the additives that they claim set them apart. The resulting differences are hardly major ones, but if you're an aficionado tuned to your engine's every ping, you may care about them. Michael Scardino of Brentwood, Tenn., a 52-year-old advertising creative director, said his cars ran better on Chevron and added, ''I'd go out of my way to get it.'' But when the brand is Shell, he said, ''I'm never happy with the performance.'' He also switches periodically between Chevron, Citgo, Exxon and Texaco ''to get the additives from one that may be missing in another brand,'' he said. Meanwhile, Laura Brengleman, 41, who lives in Greenwich, Conn., and is the editor of the motorcycle magazine RoadBike, puts the cheapest gas she can find in her family car, which has rolled up 150,000 miles so far. ''I have no problem buying from a no-name gas outlet,'' she said, ''as long as I see it's a busy station with turnover.'' (When a station goes through its gasoline supply quickly, there's less potential for water to condense from the air and settle into half-empty tanks.) On the road, Ms. Brengleman said, she might look for Exxon because she counts on its restrooms to be clean. It sounds as if this brand issue is one for the experts. But they're not much help. ''I can't say one brand is better than another,'' said Dr. Edward Murphy, a spokesman for the American Petroleum Institute, a trade group that represents oil companies in Washington. ''Base gas is a freely traded commodity that must meet certain government specifications. It flows through common pipelines into commingled storage tanks.'' What he could say, he added, is that ''the major brands spend R-and-D money on patented additives, which they add to the basic gas.'' Ron Baker, the director of the Petroleum Extension Service of the University of Texas at Austin, is well informed on these additives, which are the true distinguishing elements of gasoline brands. He described them as ''detergents and other chemicals'' designed to keep gasoline from evaporating, keep engines from corroding, help engines run well in different climates and seasons, and keep engines clean. The goal, he added, is ''forming less deposits when the gasoline burns, for better mileage, performance and exhaust emissions.'' So which brand does Mr. Baker choose? ''I buy cheap gas,'' he said. ''All U.S. gas is of good quality.'' Gabriel Shenhar, the senior auto test engineer for Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports, has experience that ought to make him a determined scoffer at brand preference. ''We tried to conduct tests a few years ago to measure the differences in acceleration and fuel economy of different gasoline brands,'' he said. ''We bagged the test, because any differences we found were not greater than those you find day to day caused by changing air temperatures or humidity.'' But in his private life Mr. Shenhar is partial to Sunoco Ultra 94, which he says works best for him in performance and economy. About 36 percent of adult gasoline users are loyal to one brand or another, said Robert Pasikoff, the president of Brand Keys, a Manhattan brand consulting firm. That leaves 64 percent to be lured into stations by low prices or special promotions. Perhaps these uncommitted consumers are overwhelmed by the sheer number of brands -- ''a couple of hundred,'' according to Trilby Lundberg, an analyst responsible for the Lundberg Survey, which tracks daily prices and sales at the nation's gas stations. ''Sunoco is big in New York and Pennsylvania, but not in the West at all,'' Ms. Lundberg said. ''The 76 brand is huge all over the West but not on the East Coast.'' Amoco (now BP at many stations), unknown in Texas, is the top-selling gasoline in the New York metropolitan area. ''At our Little Rock terminal we store and distribute gasoline for many major brands,'' said Oakley Bohannon, national accounts director of the Truman Arnold Companies of Texarkana, Tex., a major gasoline distributor. ''All the gasoline taps off the same Texas Eastern pipeline, then goes into commingled 150,000-barrel tanks.'' The distinctive additives go in as tank trucks are filled; the brands acquire their differences just before the gasoline is taken to stations. ''If it's a load for Shell stations,'' Mr. Bohannon said, ''the pump injects the Shell additive package with a measured squirt into every 40 gallons of gas.'' ALL gasoline has additives. For unbranded gasolines, like those sold at low-cost outlets, the additive is a generic version that meets minimum federal standards, and the ratio is about a third of a gallon of additive to every 1,000 gallons of gasoline. Gasoline companies aren't telling what's in their unique additive packages; they are closely held and patented secrets. But whether these details even make a difference to a driver is an open question. ''The majors claim they go beyond the federal standard in formulating their additives,'' Mr. Bohannon said. ''I can't argue that, but it's a mystery to me if it's better, and I'm not sure what it practically means. I've sold billions of gallons of unbranded gas over the years, and it has never been a problem.'' Major brands tout their own additives while vaguely denigrating one another's. Chevron, whose additive is acknowledged as the most expensive, says it keeps combustion chambers free of deposits while ''some of'' its competitors' additives will actually increase these deposits. Dave Harvey, the developer of Citgo's additives, says his creation includes a corrosion inhibitor and a de-emulsifier that ''others'' don't have. Sunoco says its additives perform ''above the minimum levels'' in cleaning up intake valves and fuel injectors. Shell claims its formula keeps intake valves clean while an unnamed ''convenience store gas'' damages them. ''The consumer has to take on faith what's in the pump'' said Mr. Baker, the University of Texas extension director. So what gas do his colleagues use? ''I took an informal poll of staff at the University of Texas Petroleum Extension Service and asked which brand of gas they think is best,'' Mr. Baker said. ''They all threw up their hands and shrugged their shoulders.'' The tomato-tomahto couple may as well just keep arguing.

OCTANE Premium or Regular? Ask Your Car

GASOLINE brands may be mysterious, but the difference in grades of gasoline -- between regular and whatever kinds of premium a station offers -- is straightforward. Gasoline is graded by octane number, which rates its resistance to premature ignition, or engine knocking. Regular gas has an octane rating of 87, a medium grade is 89, and premium gasolines begin at 91 and go up. Higher-performance cars generally need higher octane. Racecars use a grade of over 100, which you won't find at your local station. The differences in octane number originate in chemical mixtures created at the refinery, and different grades of gasoline are kept separate throughout the distribution process. The right grade to buy is the one your particular car was engineered for; you need to use only a grade high enough to prevent knock. ''Putting premium in a car designed to run on lower octane is a waste of money,'' said Dennis Simanaitis, the engineering editor of Road and Track magazine. Using regular in a car designed for premium, however, is a mistake. ''If a car is rated to run on premium, it will still run on 87 or 89, but the engine computer will dial back its performance and you won't get optimum performance or gas mileage,'' Mr. Simanaitis said. In that kind of car, ''using premium fuel will eliminate the knock,'' he added, ''and the engine computer will deliver full performance.'' So which grade of gasoline is right for your car? Look in your owner's manual. END