Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:30:41 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Powder coating door handles
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

At 02:08 AM 10/29/2003, you wrote:

>I looked into powdercoating mine blue to match my Caravelle. For the >3 handles, about $11.00US! > >Does the finish last longer than the factory black (anodizing or paint?).

I suggest absolutely, powder paint is hard as a rock. I had a powder coated exhaust for a BMW motorcycle. The thickness of the paint was a problem for the slipping of the pipes together. No problem, I'll just sand it off for the joint. Absolutely laughed at any abrasive I put to it. Not a single scratch. No progress at all with 80 grit. Like trying to cut steel with plastic. I had to use a chisel and hammer and took all afternoon a tiny chip at a time to remove it. Very impressive. After several years of use you could wash with standard car wash procedure and it was clean and bright gloss black as new, not a scratch.

If you ever want to paint your wheels, have them powder coated. It will surely hold up to curb rash better than anything you could put on there. If it is put on there properly, it will not crack or chip, and the depth of shine on that black muffler was reminiscent of a 20 layer hand rubbed lacquer show car after 5+ years and 30,000 miles of use. My impression is it will outlast industrial machine enamel 5 to 1 at least.

I am setting up a shop for custom fishing rod construction. I just convinced myself that my downrigger and trolling rods with have slick butts powder coated. You can slide them in and out of the rod holders in a saltwater environment and they will wipe up clean and new years later, no chips, no scrapes, no scratches, stable no fade colors. Far better than typical anodizing that will lose it's color in the sunlight in a few years.

The only issue is tolerances. It's a thick coat, and on a door handle you may find a problem with pivots too tight. Some clearancing at these points will probably be required. You either will have to allow for the thickness with a few strokes of a file or mask such areas. Your powder coater should be able to advise finish coat thickness so you can make allowances for certain parts. And on wheels, make danged sure you mask off the bearing surfaces, both the back that bears on the hub and the lug nut/bolt seats. You just do not want to ever have to remove it as it would take machine tools with diamond bits or at least carbide to cut the stuff.