Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:14:46 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 liter camshaft sources?
Comments: To: Dyer Lytle <dyer@LPL.ARIZONA.EDU>

I would contact Elgin. Their rep is bullet proof with virtually any cam, and specificate knowledge and skill with Porsche cams since the 60's. You can't get better advise on cams. If you want, I can quote you on OEM German cams, guaranteed to be German.

I would not buy from any of the three you list if they cannot or will not instantly state sources and origins. You need to rule out unknowns here, not assume. When you get the part, if it does not comp with manufactures papers or marks specific, it is indeed unknown if it is worth what you paid or just junk iron.

At 01:35 PM 11/04/2003, you wrote:

>Hi all, > >I need to buy a camshaft for the 1.9L engine >Bus Depot has them new for $138.69 (part number 025109021A) >Van-Again has them for $259.00 (part number 025109021B) >Volks Cafe has them for $65.00 (part number 025.109.019C) > >They are all NEW and no mention is mentioned of country of manufacture. > >This is amazing to me, what is the difference?

It amazes me too, but it seems to do with sales techniques that suggest, "Less is More" when it comes to nasty details that might kill a sale. The difference is metallurgy, tolerances and finish grade. Prices also vary for unrelated issues. Someone might just find a pallet load of first quality OEM cams and get them at a very low cost and pass the savings on. They could just as well pay a premium price for quality goods and receive seconds and rejects and not be aware they have junk for sale. All types of things are possible. The only thing you can replace "verify" with is "assume". If you want to lose $0.00, don't do it even once.