Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:08:27 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning cooling system with engine out.
Comments: To: Matthew <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>

At 02:55 PM 11/04/2003, you wrote:

> why not just use detergent then copious amounts of water? Personally, i > would not put citric acid followed by a buffer in my coolant system. >W/o a pH meter you'll never know if you put in too much 'buffer' to >neutralize the citric acid.

If you follow instructions given you will be using the correct dilutions/proportions. If you don't, indeed you can make a mess of things. Both the acid and buffers are available at any Mercedes parts counter that wants to order it. The mixing instructions are given in the manual and I would expect on/in the boxes. Copius amounts of water are called for to rinse between acid and neutralizer and as final rinse. Detergent can't break the hydrocarbon molecules down into base atoms, acid does break the bonds and converts those long chains into little tiny links that don't cling and rinse free.