Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:13:25 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: burned Bosch rotors and tune-up question
Comments: To: Conrad Klahn <conradk@MAC.COM>

I had a rotor burn up this summer. I thought it odd, since i had never burnt one up before. I got mine From Schucks (Checker). I have now started carrying a replacement in the glove box. More for precaution... I am watching to see if it becomes a problem but it seems ok so far. The rotor that burnt up was only about 4 months old.

Jere 90 GL 88 GL

-----Original Message----- From: Conrad Klahn <conradk@MAC.COM> Sent: Nov 4, 2003 8:17 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: burned Bosch rotors and tune-up question

Hi,

My rotors are burning up. I checked the archives on this, but the posts pointed to non-Bosch rotors. I think the rotor I got from Bus Depot had all of about a week on it. The metal edge is worn down on one side, the top was scored. The inside of the cap looks fine?

I replaced the rotor and cap because the old rotor was badly burnt. I thought it was just old, having not been replaced since I bought the van last April. Thoughts? Wires and plugs look fine.

Any insight on what I need to look at in the distributor? Does anyone have a link to a good Vanagon distributor site? Anyone have step-through of disassembly and cleaning/lubrication?

As far as tune-ups go, can I use an old fashioned Dwell Meter Tach combo to tune up the Vanagon engine? I have one of the old Sears Craftsman "engine analyzer" boxes that I haven't used yet. Do I hook up like the Bentley shows for the computer analyzer? I have never tuned up an ECU-equipped car before (just my old bus).

I am still trying to find a source for the temperature sensor (blue) connector (for the fuel injection). Hopefully I can get by the local VW dealer and see how much blood they want from me. If too much, maybe the local junk yard where I remember seeing a couple of Vanagones a year ago.

Conrad