Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:17:09 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Question About ECU Programing
Comments: To: Willolyn99@AOL.COM

The TIICO engine has a computer diagnosis port built into the ECU function. The waterboxer Digijet and Digifant ECUs do NOT. Many shops do have FI trouble shooting boxes that plug into the ECU harness connector between it and the ECU. These boxes are sold with an assortment of available ECU harness adapters including for Vanagons. The box has no computer in it or any other electronics in it for that matter. It does provide a way to connect external test equipment to the ECU and sensor pins with the vehicle running. The mechanic may have referred to a piece of external test equipment as "the computer" whether it was a true computer or not.

Before the advent of OBD and particularly OBDII, there was no standard way to connect a diagnostic computer to vehicles. OBDII became a US Federal requirement with all passenger vehicles beginning with the 1996 model year, AFAIK.

OBD = On Board Diagnostics

Mark

Bill Marshall wrote: > > If the digijet doesn't store engine codes, then how did a mechanic use a > computer and program to find the particular problem on my '85? I watched him do > it. In fact, the first question he asked me when we came in was, "Has the > battery been disconnected?" > > Perhaps they are not engine codes in the same way modern cars have, but none > the less the info is still there. He pinpointed the problem in minutes. > > Bill Marshall > 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" > Aurora, IL