Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:34:21 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: shuddering from dead stop...is it the clutch wearing out?
              Other items to consider before long road trip?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

While the tranny's out, check the yoke for wear (the part that transmits the clutch action to the throw-out bearing). The contact area should be curved, not flat. If it's flat, the TO bearing will tend to rock - this, too, will cause clutch shuddering.

Karl Wolz

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Shawn Wright Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:52 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: shuddering from dead stop...is it the clutch wearing out? Other items to consider before long road trip?

Sounds very similar to the symptoms I had before replacing my clutch due to oil contamination. Check for signs of oil at bottom of bellhousing/engine joint, and around starter. In my case, I assumed a rear main seal leak, but after another trip, my leak continues, so it appears the leak is from the trans input shaft seal. If you do find a leak, check for both of these sources. If the shuddering isn't too bad, and clutch is not slipping, you would probably be ok on the trip, but I wouldnt' chance it. I drove mine for about 20k kms before the shuddering became quite bad, but it still didn't slip. I think once you notice shuddering, the clutch disc is already too far gone with oil contamination, they're about $60 US...

-- Shawn Wright http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright '88 Westy 375k '85 Jetta D 263k '85 Jetta TD 482k (retired) ~This message sent by Pegasus Mail, the safe E-Mail alternative~ "Friends don't let friends use Outlook"