Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:05:42 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Tires:  Michelin XCA 205/75R14

I have these tires on my van. The full description is

Michelin XCA - 205/75R14 8-Ply (actual - not 8 ply rated)-(6 bottom, 2 Sidewall) Load Range D, 65 PSI Maximum

This tire is readily available through Michelin, but is a tire from their commercial truck tire line. You may get told it isn't available, or is not listed, but if you give the tire dealer the full description above, they can find it.

This "75" tire stands just a bit taller than the "70" tire, but there isn't enough difference to make a really significant difference in overall performance although some may notice a reduced getaway athe stop light when dragging with the local Corvette.. Once I drove with them for a while any acceleration differences I don't even notice. This tire size may be available in a 15 inch size as well.

The one thing I have noticed is that with the new tires, my speedometer - according to the local highway radar units that tell you how fast you are going - is dead-on balls accurate. No more of the built-in VW fudge factor in the speedometer.

These tires were a bit pricey - $122 ea. balanced and installed, but they seem to be really good tires, and since I often carry heavy loads - 1000 to 1500 lbs in the van, they are definitely the tire for me.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL