Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:58:17 -0800
From:         Steven Dodson - Epoch Product Design <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Canadian gas vs lower 48 states gas and penguins

In CA we have MTBE in our gas, which is highly carcinogenic and gets into waterways and eventually the ocean. We won't know what evils we're unleashed for years, then it'll be too late. Like Canada, Europe also uses Ethanol or Methanol instead of MTBE. It's much better for the environment and humans.

Humboldt State University's CCAT found that many American fuel distributors are selling "bio-diesel" laced with 5% rendered grease (ANIMAL FAT). This causes the fuel to solidify at higher temperatures and subsequently vehicles running this crap can't start in temps under 45F (tank of Crisco) without having custom fuel heating systems. It's kind of like, how we put whey in everything from cereal to baby formula, to get rid of it. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why VW certifies their TDI's to run bio-diesel but expressly exclude American bio-diesel. Last year, I met an older couple who own a ranch, they thought they were being progressive by putting bio-diesel in their pickup, tractor and farm equipment. Come the first cold day and nothing would start. That's enough to scare people from using the stuff. Pure 100% bio-diesel runs fine down to about 15-20F, then you need a fuel heating system.

By the way, we have a few relatives of the penguin in the Northwest. We have Cassin's Auklet, the Parakeet Auklet, the Rhinoceros Auklet, also the Tufted and Horned Puffins. None of which have been witnessed driving a Vanagon.

Please submit photos if you've seen one.

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:16:34 -0800 From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> Subject: Re: Canadian gas vs lower 48 states gas and penguins

:)

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.