Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2003 20:59:51 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Info needed for road trip to Alaska 2004???
Comments: To: Hermann the German <urlauber10@HOTMAIL.COM>

Lived in Alaska for 30 years. Last drove the Alaska Highway southbound in August of '96. Road was paved most of the way, with a few spots under construction or a few miles, but nothing significant. The paving and upgrading is an ongoind thing and it will do nothing but get better over the years.

Plenty of gas stops along the highway so needing to carry extra fuel was not a problem. I did carry some extra water in the for of bottled water for convenience. My van then was a 85 GL. It was loaded, and I traveled with the rear seat down folded into the bed configuration. I had two egg crate rubber pads for added comfort. I kept the right side by the sliding door clear for sleeping. I used Mosquito netting with stick-on velcro for bug protection. Got some cheap curtains from Wall World for privacy. To close off the front of the van I simply bought an extendable curtain rod, put a piece of aircraft safet wire in a loop on each end and hung it over the front coat hangers on the door posts. Made it cozy.

I slept at campgrounds along the way. I liked the showers.

You can have frost as late as mid June and as early as mid August around Watson Lake, in the Yukon, and during the month of June many of the lakes along the highway will still be frozen. Coming South I was at Watson Lake on August 18, and the temp was 28 degrees that one night. My next night was further south and it was considerably warmer. In the high country the Birch, Aspens, and Willow will already be turning yellow by mid august.

Mosquitoes are viscious, carry plent of bug repellant. Once you are in Anchorage look up Mountain View Sporting Goos and buy a can or two of Buhach. Just follow the instructions. You will glad you did. It is the finest mosquito repellant ever and has been used in Alaska forever. It is the pure pyrethreum flower ground to a fine powder.

I didn't cook along the way, but did keep some snacks on hand in the event I had a break down.

I had found early in the game that protection from mechanical problems on my van required a strengint maintenance regimen on my part on the vehicle. It also required that I be well versed with the various systems on my van. I made it a point to study the Bentley and I had it under the front seat in the event I needed it during my trip. I covered 4,500 miles in seven days, had three stops for mechanical's, and did not have a single event that could not be dealt with efficiently, as I was able to coach the mechanic due to my familiarity with the vehicle. He knew the mechanic trade, I knew my van, and between us we got it done in short order. Sixty miles from my final destination - Birmingham, AL - the water pump blew, and I had the beast towed the rest of the way.

Termination Dust: In mid to late August the weather systems that will move through Alaska will obscure the surround mountain peaks with clouds. When the weather moves out, new fallen show can be seen where there was not before. This is know as Termination Dust. It it when the Turons terminate their stay in Alaska and start bak down the Alaska Highway, so as not to be caught by an early snow in the interior along the Alaska Highway. As the weather continues to cool with the changin season, the Termination Dust will slowly march down the mountains with each successive weather passage, until there is a snow fall in the valley. With that, Winter has arrived.

If you prepare your rig well, get it well serviced, you should have no problems on the trip. There is a VW dealership in Anchorage, as well as several VW shops. Just be sure you have your Bentleys with you.

Good luck and enjoy your journey

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL